Personal Style Interview Q&A: Eric Jennings- VP and Fashion Director of Men’s, Home, Food and GIfts at Saks Fifth Avenue
- Blueperk: Tell me a little bit about yourself (current career path, hometown/current city):
Jennings: I grew up in northern California about 30 miles from San Francisco. In college I studied International Relations and German. After I got my degree I worked at Nordstrom while I was applying to law schools. I fell in love with men’s fashion, took an opportunity to move to NYC to open a small men’s boutique and never looked back. That was in 1993.
- Blueperk: How does your day job correlate with your personal style?
Jennings: My day job IS my personal style. I don’t look much different when I go out at night or on the weekends.
- Blueperk: What do you believe makes your personal style unique?
Jennings: Small details like pocket squares, caps, colorful socks. It’s all about interesting accessories.
- Blueperk: Who or what is your biggest style inspiration?
Jennings: American and British tailoring with an Italian twist.
- Blueperk: What era of menswear do find in your outfits?
Jennings: Right now the late 1950s and early 1960s.
- Blueperk: Who are your favorite designers?
Jennings: Michael Bastian, Rag & Bone, Neil Barrett.
- Blueperk: Where are your favorite places to shop?
Jennings: If not at Saks, Antonia U’omo in Milan.
- Blueperk: Are there any key pieces you find yourself constantly wearing?
Jennings: I love soft constructed sport coats and jackets. I rarely leave the house without one.
- Blueperk: Which items have been your favorites this Fall 2012?
Jennings: This amazing sweater/jacket from a line I found in Florence called BARK.
- Blueperk: What 5 items can’t you leave your home without?
Jennings: Sunglasses, Chapstick, iPhone, Blackberry, and keys.
- Blueperk: Why did you decide to work in the fashion industry?
Jennings: I had more fun in fashion than studying for law school.
- Blueperk: Where do you see your career taking you next?
Jennings: Do you know a good palm reader?
- Blueperk: What’s your advice for aspiring fashion driven individuals?
Jennings: No matter what you are doing, do it the best that you can. Make a name for yourself no matter how big or small your responsibility is.
- Blueperk: Where have you interned in the past and what is your most memorable?
Jennings: I interned on Capitol Hill working for a U.S. Senator for 6 months. It was an incredibly eye opening experience.
- Blueperk: Who are your favorite stylists?
Jennings: I really don’t know.
- Blueperk: 5 Favorite blogs:
Jennings: Can’t say, don’t want to upset anyone.
- Blueperk: What else do you enjoy outside of fashion?
Jennings: I love running, swimming, playing piano, and traveling.
- Blueperk: Inspirational quote:
Jennings: “Excitement is the most practical synonym for happiness, and it is what you should strive to achieve. Therefore the question you should be asking yourself is not “what are my goals?” but “what would excite me?” –Timothy Ferriss
Photo credits: Eric Jennings Tumblr